Job Opening: Glenstone Seeks Grounds Superintendent
ART MUSEUM KNOWN FOR HISTORIC ORGANIC TRANSFORMATION
For nearly two years the SafeLawns Foundation has helped coordinate one of the most historically significant organic landscape transformations in North America. We are now being asked to help find the project’s next steward.
Glenstone, the Potomac, Md., site of the organic turf research project involving the University of Maryland and SafeLawns, is seeking to hire its first grounds superintendent in the coming months. Primary responsibilities include organic grounds maintenance, but the job will also entail many other dynamic projects in the months and years ahead, including:
1) Oversight of an entirely new landscape designed by Peter Walker and Partners;
2) Construction and maintenance of the world’s largest mosaiculture exhibit;
3) Creation and implementation of an internship program for the best and brightest students in landscaping, horticulture and architecture;
4) Participation in communicating the Glenstone educational experience to the broader community.
The full job description is below. Please help us spread the word about this rare and amazing career opportunity and ask candidates to send an email to Paul@SafeLawns.org. The chosen individual will be in position to impact the advancement of natural landscape techniques for years to come.
Note: Please do not send resumes or cover letters directly to Glenstone at this time.
Glenstone — Grounds Superintendent
Glenstone is a modern art museum set on 160 bucolic acres amidst a suburban neighborhood in Potomac, Md. Founded in 2006, the organization seeks to seamlessly blend its art, architecture and landscape for the inspirational and educational benefit of the citizens of Maryland and the world over.
As an organization that strives for excellence and value in its every endeavor, Glenstone seeks only highly qualified candidates with the most keen sense of personal motivation, attention to detail, organizational skills and professional decorum. This position calls for a team leader capable of recognizing, perhaps expanding upon, existing standards of excellence in the field.
• Oversee the daily operations of all grounds management activities within best organic practices protocols, including Sustainable Sites, OMRI, NOFA and others.
• Coordinate and manage all staff and sub-contractor work within the context of a historically significant facilities expansion and grounds enhancement.
• Work with world-renowned landscape architects to bring their vision to fruition.
• Oversee installation and annual maintenance of the world’s largest mosaiculture sculpture.
• Deliver and manage results within budgetary constraints and staffing limitations, currently 6-8 fulltime equivalents.
• Create and manage a dynamic internship program with local, national and international universities.
• Function as an outreach team member to bring the Glenstone landscape educational experience to the visitors and the outside world, including an ongoing research project with the University of Maryland and the SafeLawns Foundation.
• Be as flexible as necessary with regard to work hours for events, projects and any and all special circumstances.
IDEAL SKILL SETS
• Knowledge of turf, trees, ornamentals and soil science.
• Familiarity with heavy equipment and other tools and products unique to the trade.
• Background in aquatics, storm water management, irrigation and sewage systems.
• Strong interpersonal communication skills, with public speaking skills a plus.
• Exemplary staff and project management skills.
• Ability to function as a leader within a team environment.
• Knowledge of budget creation and management.
• Ability to deliver on deadline and work under pressure.
• Bachelor’s degree in horticulture, turf grass / upland grass management or equivalent work experience.
• 5-10 years landscaping, golf course or grounds maintenance experience.
• Ability to travel on business trips as needed.
• Employee health and dental insurance coverage
• 401(k) program
• Generous paid vacation
• Salary commensurate with experience